Re: Face color changes

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Face color changes
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 19:22:32 -0500

    This sounds a lot like overengineering to me.  Assume an innocent user
    who takes his face definitions from one system to the next.  Depending
    on what kind of system it is, his faces will either look like what he
    customized them, or it will look like the default definitions for that
    kind of system.

The alternative definitions for a face are condition by criteria
that make sense for that face--for instance, number of colors available
and color of background.

With the proposed change, if the user moves to a different system, he
will probably choose the same kind of background.  So unless the
display's capabilities are very different, he will get the same
alternative, and therefore the same customizations.  Usually.

But if he changes to a different kind of environment for which the
alternative he customized would not have been used at all, he will get
the default for that environment, which will probably be good.

That is why I believe this change is correct.