Re: Merry Xmas and a... OMG, what did you just say?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Merry Xmas and a... OMG, what did you just say?
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2005 11:27:00 -0500

    What software patents?  There is no such thing in europe (yet)

You feel safe because you have not seen the danger.  I wish that you
really were as safe as you feel.

The European Patent Office has issued around 40,000 software patents,
in direct defiance of the treaty that established it.  Whether they
have validity, given these facts, is not clear.

About a week ago, the Council of Ministers tried to pass a directive
to authorize software patents as an "uncontroversial" measure
in a meeting supposedly devoted to fishing and agriculture.
It was blocked by Poland.  If you look at www.gnu.org, you will
see a banner saying "Thank You, Poland".  If you follow the link
and add your name, you will do a little to help keep the EU safe.

For several years now I have been giving speeches in many EU countries
about the danger of software patents.  Many others have been
campaigning too.  But we need more help, more strength.  Please
recognize the danger, and help fight it.  If you wait until this
directive passes, it will be too late to do anything.

I will be in Iceland Jan 7-12 giving speeches, and I think software
patents will be one of the topics.  Everyone in Iceland who is
interested in using software had better start paying attention to the
issue.  Iceland cannot help save Europe, but if Europe falls,
Iceland will need to save itself.