Re: address@hidden: redisplay abort if GLYPH_DEBUG turned on]

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: address@hidden: redisplay abort if GLYPH_DEBUG turned on]
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 11:29:49 +0900

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
> There are other places which set stop_charpos to 0, so
> there is IT_CHARPOS <= stop_charpos is not an invariant.
>
> So Miles' change to the xassert is ok.  But the comment need to be modified
> as well.

The thing that makes me nervous is that there seem to also be other
similar xasserts, e.g. [xdisp.c:2727]:

  xassert (STRINGP (it->string)
           || (it->stop_charpos >= BEGV
               && it->stop_charpos >= IT_CHARPOS (*it)));

and [xdisp.c:4068]:

      xassert (it->stop_charpos >= BEGV
               && it->stop_charpos <= it->end_charpos);

implying that there _are_ some sorts of rules for stop_charpos, but I
have no idea what they are.  [I haven't had any crashes involving these
other xasserts.]

-Miles
--
Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra.  Suddenly it flips over,
pinning you underneath.  At night the ice weasels come.  --Nietzsche