Re: Getting more info on a variable in Customize buffers

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Getting more info on a variable in Customize buffers
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 14:56:21 -0500

    The best way to make set-variable work buffer-locally depends on
    whether and how we want to make Custom work buffer-locally.

We want to make Custom work buffer-locally.  This is not super-urgent,
but it is very desirable for the long term.

      For interactive use, `custom-local-buffer' seems to inconvenient
    (even if it worked reliably, which it does not).

Of course this is not meant as an end-user interface.  It is meant
as a mechanism for the end-user interface to use.  For that purpose,
it is clean enough.

                                                                 If we do
    not care about making Custom set buffer-local values, the best thing
    would probably be :set-local and :get-local keywords, as Richard
    suggested.  That _maybe_ could also be the case if we wanted to make
    Custom work buffer-locally.

I had forgotten about custom-local-buffer.  Now that I remember it, I
see no advantage in :set-local and :get-local.  The :set and :get
functions can just as easily test custom-local-buffer.

    Making Custom work buffer locally is very tricky.  It does not seem
    like something for before the next release.

If specific :set and :get functions fail to handle custom-local-buffer,
that is a bug.  We can fix these bugs at any time.  Would you like
to find some cases that fail, and fix them?

Adding a nice UI so that Custom uses custom-local-buffer is a
different job.  We might not want to install that now; however, people
could start implementing it now, to be installed later.