Re: Bug 130397

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Bug 130397
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 10:09:41 +0100

>> Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 22:29:21 +0900
>> From: Miles Bader <address@hidden>
>> Cc: Geoff Kuenning <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
>>      address@hidden, address@hidden,
>>      Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
>>      address@hidden, Ken Stevens <address@hidden>,
>>      Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
>>
>> If ispell wants utf-8, it's easy enough to convert each input line to
>> utf-8 and deal with offsets into that in the event of a mispelling;
>
> Or account for byte offsets by (variable) multibyte lenght of each
> character, which Emacs knows.  I don't remember for the moment whether
> the multibyte length of the UTF-8 encoding can be gotten at by a Lisp
> program, but if not, we could add some primitive to do that.

Just encode the line to utf-8, find the correct point in the byte
string, cut off the line there, convert back and check the length of
the string.  This works unless you are in the middle of a character.

But it would be much saner if our conversion facilities would preserve
markers (which they don't do right now): encode to utf-8, place a
marker at the right byte offset, undo the conversion.