Re: ispell-region with M-$ in transient-mark-mode

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: ispell-region with M-$ in transient-mark-mode
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 09:46:48 +0200

>> From: Juri Linkov <address@hidden>
>> It's very intuitive to work on the active region when the user has
>> explicitly selected it in Transient Mark mode.
>
> Yes.  But word commands are IMHO not the ones that should be sensitive
> to active region.

Word commands executed on active regions can be interpreted as
commands that should operate on every word in the region.

>> I suggested to add this to `ispell-word' because M-$ is only one
>> keybinding available to active ispell.
>
> If that's the main reason, let's have a key binding for ispell-region.
> (Of course, you can always bind it yourself if this is so important
> for you.)

I have plenty of personal key bindings in my .emacs.  What I want is
to make default key bindings useful for most Emacs users.

Adding a new key binding for ispell-region is not a bad solution.
Perhaps most natural is `C-x M-$' by analogy with `M-u' - `C-x C-u',
and `M-l' - `C-x C-l'.  And also `fill-region' could be bound to
`C-x M-q', and `eval-region' to `C-x C-M-x'.

I also have a better idea for ispell-region.  Currently `C-u M-$'
resumes spell-checking interrupted by the `X' command.  When there is
no interrupted ispell session then `C-u M-$' just displays the message:

    No session to continue.  Use 'X' command when checking!

Instead of this, I propose to call the command `ispell' which already
checks a region or a buffer depending on the values of `transient-mark-mode'
and `mark-active'.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/