Re: CVS directories in completion-ignored-extensions

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: CVS directories in completion-ignored-extensions
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 12:34:43 +0100

Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:

> I agree that, for the moment, the current size of
> REGEXP_CACHE_SIZE (== 20) is good enough.  But, for
> instance, regular expression is heavily used for displaying
> such complicated script as Indic to genarate composition.
> Gnus also uses regexp frequently.  If they are mixed
> (i.e. for people reading Devanagari mails in Gnus), I'm sure
> the size 20 is not enough.
>
> But, hmmm, perhaps 40 is enough.  I have to estimate it.

Did you make some conclusion here?

To me it seems like the regexp cache could be improved by
keeping a usage counter and a lru timestamp so frequently
used regexps could be kept in the cache -- and the cache
could grow dynamically to always hold the most frequently
used regexps [with some hard upper limit of course].

E.g. if I have a large number of regexps to split mail in gnus,
it would be nice to keep all of those in the cache.