Re: reverting non-file buffers in earlier Emacs versions.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: reverting non-file buffers in earlier Emacs versions.
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 06:40:50 +0200

> Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 19:26:04 -0600 (CST)
> From: Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden>
>
> I suggest the following documentation changes to autorevert.el and
> emacs-xtra.texi.  The reason for the changes is that in Emacs versions
> 21.3 and earlier, autoreverting of non-file buffers seems to cause
> serious problems.  In Emacs-21.3, Dired buffers autorevert every five
> seconds, print a message every five seconds, constantly overshouting
> what I am trying to type in the echo area, and point in a Dired buffer
> shoots back to the beginning of the buffer every five seconds.
>
> So I want to give the reader at least some indication that
> autoreverting of non-file buffers worked quite differently in earlier
> Emacs versions.
>
> I will install if there are no objections.

Objection, your honor! ;-)

Seriously: I don't think these changes should be installed.  What they
try to do is change history: you are adding information that should
have been there in previous Emacs versions, because the problems you
describe do not exist anymore in the current version.  Since the
updated files will be distributed with the new version of Emacs, what
purpose will the additional text serve?  How will it help users of
Emacs 21.4 to know that in older versions Auto Revert worked worse
than it does now?

This information should be in etc/NEWS -- and AFAICS it is already
there.  So I don't think we should make these changes.