[OSX] G4 compiled binary fails on G5

From: Sébastien Kirche
Subject: [OSX] G4 compiled binary fails on G5
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:15:32 +0100

Hi,

some days  ago I  published a  pre-compiled OSX binary  built from  the CVS.
Craig  A. Finseth  told me  that  this version  fails during  launch on  his
system.

Looking at the crash log in the console utility shown the following :

        dyld: /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs version
        mismatch for library: /usr/lib/libncurses.5.dylib (compatibility
        version of user: 6.0.0 greater than library's version: 5.0.0)

I built Emacs on my G4/10.3.7, and Craig has a G5/10.3.7.

Actually that message does not tell me if the problem is on my part. I don't
understand the  last sentence  : it seems  that I  have the 5.0  version and
Craig the  6.0 but  in that  case i don't  understand why  it fails.  If the
application is  linked against  v.5 library, it  should work with  a greater
version, shouldn't it ?

Could an OSX familiar give me some clue ? Thank you.

--
Sébastien Kirche