Re: Eliminating "changed in Emacs outside of Customize"

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Eliminating "changed in Emacs outside of Customize"
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 01:41:04 -0500

    > Why do you think so?  In particular, if changes outside Custom
    > were treated as if they had happened within Custom, what problem
    > do you envision?

    Was this unclear:

      If you .emacs, or some third party code you
      activate from ".emacs", contains "(setq foo 42)" and you change and
      save "foo" from customize, you changes to the variable through
      customize will be overwritten next time you start Emacs.

It does not seem to justify the statement above.  The statement is not
limited to init files.  It seems to say that *any* setting of the
variable from outside Custom would cause trouble.  But this only
explains why setting the variable *in .emacs* would cause trouble.

If we arranged to record a list of all defcustomed variables that are
explicitly set in other ways from within .emacs, would that make it
possible to solve this problem?