Re: address@hidden: Re: x-backspace-delete-keys-p]

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: x-backspace-delete-keys-p]
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 12:38:17 -0500

    The code could be modified to check for different keysyms for delete and
    backspace, but I'm not sure what problem it is trying to solve.  Doesn't
    the current code work?

He had a case where it did not work.
Here is the report.

From: Gabor Melis <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 11:43:43 +0100
Subject: x-backspace-delete-keys-p
Sender: address@hidden

I have a funky keyboard layout (mimicking a lisp machine keyboard) where=20
backspace is mapped onto the caps lock key and nothing is on the backspace=
=20
key. With this layout the x-backspace-delete-keys-p function (in xfns.c)=20
returns false which causes normal-erase-is-backspace-mode not to be turned =
on=20
by default.

Looking at the code, it seems that x-backspace-delete-keys-p checks whether=
=20
the keyboard has a delete and backspace key and XK_Delete/XK_Backspace is=20
mapped onto them. I don't know much about other keyboards but checking only=
=20
whether XK_Delete/XK_Backspace is mapped to a keycode that belongs to _any_=
=20
key in the current keyboard sounds enough. In other words, checking for=20
DELE/BKSP keys is unnecessary.

Cheers, G=E1bor Melis