Re: Changed outside --> set, in Customize UI

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Changed outside --> set, in Customize UI
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 20:07:38 -0600 (CST)

Actually, I start thinking again that it _might_ be good to make _any_
option set in .emacs "untouchable" through Custom, even atoms and even
in as far as the current session is concerned.  That way we do not
need to make any distinction between hooks (and similar list-vars) and
other options, which probably will simplify implementation _a lot_,
things will look less inconsistent to the user _and_ it will avoid
problems if you later try to "Reset to Standard" (which would make no
sense).  If you customized in .emacs outside Custom, it is better to
be consistent and set it for the current session with set-variable.

If we do that, we probably will not need the "Set outside Custom" anymore.

At a given moment we will have to quit this discussion for now.  If we
think _too_ much about it now, we will have forgotten everything by
implementation time anyway.

Sincerely,

Luc.