RE: Changed outside --> set, in Customize UI

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Changed outside --> set, in Customize UI
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 18:27:52 -0800

       I meant arguments about the desirability in the UI of
       "outside" + "inside" vs just changed". I haven't seen those
       arguments.

    From my previous message:

       I believe that it is possible that we might still need "Set
       outside Custom"
       after fixing the hooks-listvars bugs.  If you have set an option in
       your .emacs ten years ago, you need some reminder that you actually
       set it in your .emacs, or you might have forgotten it.  Referring to
       something set in .emacs as "Set for the current" session
       would be very
       confusing because things set in .emacs outside and inside the
       `custom-set-variables' form are set in the same session.

    I believe that even after any reimplementation, a change made in
    .emacs should definitely never be equated with something "Set for the
    current session".  It is just as permanent as something set in the
    custom-set-variables form.  If the "Set outside Custom" would be
    replaced by something, it would be by a statement that the part
    _controlled by Custom_ is at standard setting.  At least that would be
    the case for hooks and similar list-vars.  For other options, we still
    may need the "Set outside Custom", depending on what we do with them.

Please see my message "New tack for Customize" (today). I think we agree now
about custom-file changes being reflected in Customize as neither "changed
outside" nor "set", but as "Custom File" (or another name with that
meaning). (This is not the same thing as `standard', BTW.)