Fw: table.el html tag case

From: Tak Ota
Subject: Fw: table.el html tag case
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 12:36:07 -0800 (PST)

table.el has a feature to generate HTML script from a give text table.
"Trent Buck" <address@hidden> requested me to change the current
uppercase HTML tags to lowercase tags so that it is compatible with
XHTML standard.  If nobody objects I will modify as he requested.

-Tak
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: table.el html tag case Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 11:30:52 -0800
Up spake Tak Ota:
>> Currently (version 22.1), table.el produces uppercase HTML tags.
>> Is there a compelling reason for this?
>
> Even the latest HTML 4.0 (at http://www.w3.org) is specified using
> uppercase tags.

Huh.  I hadn't noticed.  All the HTML I've seen that's been written
since the 90's has been lowercase.

> But as you point out XHTML does use lowercase for tags and the case is
> significant.  I wonder if we should introduce another mode XHTML in
> addition to the existing HTML.  What do you think?

Well ordinary HTML4 is case-insensitive, so simply lowercasing the tags
would make it valid HTML4 *and* XHTML, right?

If so, having a separate XHTML mode seems like overkill to me.

--
-trent
Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual

--- End Message ---