Re: follow-link in grep buffer

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: follow-link in grep buffer
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 17:47:58 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> If we have specific problems in certain modes, let's fix those
>> modes (e.g. in grep that you have to click on the file:line
>> part of a line to jump).
> AFAICT the specific problem at hand is that a mous-1 click used to
> get focus should not follow a link.  No matter what kind of link, no
> matter the major mode.

That's not the only problem.  A mouse-1 click not used to get focus
should follow a link.  If it doesn't, that is surprising.  Now
click-to-focus is strictly a windowmanager and frame thingy.  While
one also uses the mouse for the purpose of changing the _window_
instead of the frame, one would be terribly surprised if this had not
the side effect of setting point, too.  Basically, one sets point into
a different window since that is the convenient way to change focus.

It is completely backwards if this side effect of a window change
leads to a link working or not working, namely if we _do_ set point,
but _don't_ follow the link.  With a true click-to-focus, we should
not even have the window-point change, merely the selected window.

All those semantics are far too clever.  It is an absolutely
horrifying thought to have to explain this to a bunch of beginners
with Emacs.  They'll just declare me crazy and be done.

> I think x-mouse-click-focus-ignore-position is pretty much the kind
> of thing we want, although I'd have expected that the window-manager
> would take care of those things (it should eat the "click-to-focus"
> and not pass it on to the application).

You are confusing frame and window.  Changing the selected window is
also necessary at times.