Re: follow-link in grep buffer

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: follow-link in grep buffer
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 21:32:22 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>     Terrible.  If I tell that to any new Emacs users, they'll shake
>>     their heads and leave Emacs alone.
>
>> And when you tell them about mouse-1 plus mouse-3 and all the rest?
>
> The difference is that you don't need to tell Emacs novices about
> mouse-1+mouse-3 (which I never ever use in Emacs, BTW, I always use
> drag-mouse-1 instead).

Oh, but clicking mouse-3 twice for deletion is so convenient that it
warrants teaching.  Also using mouse-3 for _extending_ a region can't
be replaced by dragging.

But you are right in that one does not _need_ to teach it to people,
and they are not worse off than with any other editor.

It is ok if people discover the joys of Emacs not all at once.  But we
should try to avoid hitting them with unpleasant surprises right away.