Re: Putting blink-cursor-mode in Options menu.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Putting blink-cursor-mode in Options menu.
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 15:27:53 +0100

"Chong Yidong" <address@hidden> writes:

>>    To some people, for instance me, having to watch a blinking cursor
>>    produces real discomfort.
>>
>> Same here.  That is why I never post reports with
>>
>>     emacs -q --no-site-file
>
> Why not set blink-cursor-mode to nil by default?

Same as all defaults: since a majority of people appear to prefer the
current setting.  Emacs supports multiple frames and windows and
interactive searches.  The blinking cursor makes it easy to recognize
point as it jumps around in editing operations.

I think that the blinking pretty much is required for locating things.
Whether it needs to be a full square or whether something like a
vertical line (such as other text editors tend to use) would suffice,
is a different question.

Personally, I find the cursor quite ok the current way.  This would
probably be something for which a poll would be required.