Re: keyboard-translate-table

From: Evil Boris
Subject: Re: keyboard-translate-table
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 09:31:57 -0500

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> The example of keyboard-translate-table relates to terminal flow
>> control, which I believe is essentially obsolete.  Can anyone think
>> of a non-obsolete use for keyboard-translate-table, to put in
>> the example?
>
> It's used in normal-erase-is-backspace-mode (when running on a tty).
>
>> Or is keyboard-translate-table itself obsolete nowadays?
>
> It's also used for flow-ctrl.el, which is not in lisp/obsolete.
> Are you suggesting we move flow-ctrl.el to lisp/obsolete?

I also found it used in term/keyswap.el.  Is that obsolete too?  I
have been meaning to complain about that code, as it seems to
unconditionally swap ^h and DEL, and provide no way of undoing it (of
course one can just set keyboard-translate-table to nil manually).  In
addition, it seems to assume that keyboard-translate-table is not used
beofre it's loaded---it simply overwrites it.  Is this superceded by
normal-erase-is-backspace-mode?  Should it be declared obsolete?

--B