Re: Key binding M-g should really be goto-line

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: Key binding M-g should really be goto-line
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 13:40:04 +0000 (UTC)

In today's GNU Emacs CVS snapshot, Wed, 2005 Mar  2  11:50 UTC
GNU Emacs 22.0.50.13 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.6.2)
started with

    /usr/local/src/emacs/src/emacs -Q

M-o is undefined;

C-x C-g is undefined;

C-x g runs the command insert-register-compatibility-binding.

Alfred M. Szmidt wrote

    FWIW, I fail to see why people want goto-line, I never used it, ...

This is yet another example of how people are different.  I use
goto-line frequently and cannot see working without it.  Fifteen or
eighteen years ago I bound it to C-c C-g and have used that binding
ever since.

There are a great many different actions people want to do, and not
that many keybindings.

This suggests that if goto-line is bound to a key chord by default, it
perhaps should be bound to a potentially less used key chord than to a
potentially more used key chord.

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    address@hidden                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8