Re: Key binding M-g should really be goto-line

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Key binding M-g should really be goto-line
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 14:42:15 +0100

address@hidden (Jari Aalto+mail.linux) writes:

> |    Nobody explained good arguments why current M-g is immovable?
> |
> | ,----
> | | http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2004-03/msg00642.html
> | | From: Richard Stallman
> | |
> | | "I want Emacs to move in the direction of doing word processing.  It
> | | may take years, but we will get there.  Then commands to specify faces
> | | will become important, and will need a good key binding.
> | |
> | | I chose the M-g binding for that reason, and the reason continues to
> | | have force.  So I don't intend to change that binding."
> | `----
>
> I meant "immovable" - in literal sense. I'm not suggesting that the
> facemenu is removed. But I have big question in my mind why it has to be at
> M-g - at binding - which doesn't even sound anything familiar to do with
> faces.

I also suggested this little piggy when M-g was discussed last time:

It keeps the current face menu bindings, but in addition allows you to
enter M-g 123 RET to jump to line 123...  Only problem is that it
doesn't show the "Goto line:" prompt until you type the first digit.

(defun goto-line-piggyback ()
  (interactive)
  (goto-line
   (string-to-int
    (read-string "Goto line: "
                 (substring (this-command-keys) -1)))))

(dolist (digit '(?0 ?1 ?2 ?3 ?4 ?5 ?6 ?7 ?8 ?9))
  (define-key facemenu-keymap (vector digit) 'goto-line-piggyback))

BTW, who appends "autolearn=no version=3.0.2" to the subject ?