Re: require-hard-newlines to use newline

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: Re: require-hard-newlines to use newline
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 11:45:42 +0100

>     Because, everywhere else in the buffer, the newline at the end of a
>     paragraph is hard.
> That doesn't seem like a convincing reason.
>     Now suppose the user goes to another buffer to do his editing, and comes
>     back to this buffer a long time later. He does not remember the exact
>     sequence of edits he performed on that buffer -- in particular, whether he
>     typed RET or not. From moving point around, he observes that the buffer
>     contains "some text" followed by a final newline.
> If he did not finish the paragraph, he will probably assume the
> newline is soft.  If he did finish the paragraph, he will probably
> assume the newline is hard.  Either way, he might be wrong.
> So I think that use-hard-newlines should inhibit the effect of
> require-final-newline.  It is the only way to get reliable results.

Sorry if I missed something: as I understand it the problem arises
from the fact that `require-final-newline' will not only make sure
that the *file* ends with a newline, but will that newline add to the

If I understand things correctly, the problem would go away, if
require-f-n would just add the newline when writing the file but not
to the buffer (a bit similar to a function in
`write-region-annotate-functions') . Then the user would only come to
see it, if she reverts the buffer; in this case it is longlines.el's
job to use its heuristics to detect whether the final newline is hard
or soft.

17 Ventôse an 213 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!