Re: Problems with debug-on-entry in the Lisp debugger.

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Problems with debug-on-entry in the Lisp debugger.
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 21:53:03 -0500

       The only solution (within the current implementation) that I can
       think of, is to temporarily remove all debug-on-entry code while
       stepping with `d'.

Would setting inhibit-debug-on-entry temporarily do the job?

       I can think of two points in a macro to set a break for the
       debugger: just before macro expansion and just after it, right
       before the evaluation of the resulting sexp.

The correct place to do it is before macro expansion.
This is a very evident bug, so please just fix it if you can.

                                                     In both cases, hiding
       the debug-on-entry code from the user of the debugger seems not
       possible.

I am not sure what that means.

    When I was thinking about these three problems, it seemed to me that
    the easiest and simplest thing to do, is to move support for
    debug-on-entry into the C implementation of the Lisp interpreter.  To
    mark a function for debug-on-entry, you could set the debug-on-entry
    property of the function's symbol and the Lisp interpreter would then
    call the debugger.

I agree this is undesirable due to slowness.
I don't see a need for this big a change.