Re: require-hard-newlines to use newline

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: require-hard-newlines to use newline
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 14:02:04 -0500

>    Maybe it's because you call M-x byte-compiler from an Emacs where longlines
>    was already loaded.

> I do not believe so:

> [bash2.05b.0 ~ 3 1] emacs-22.0.50 -batch -f batch-byte-compile
> longlines.el
> Wrote /home/teirllm/longlines.elc
> [bash2.05b.0 ~ 3 2]

> Maybe it is because all the offending occurrences of the variable are
> in defadvice forms.

Indeed.  The code in defadvice is (generally) not compiled during
byte-compilation.

> Another thing I do not understand is that (devar longlines-mode) did
> not help.  Only (devar longlines-mode nil) did.

A (defvar longlines-mode) doesn't have any long term effect: it only
temporarily tells the byte-compiler to shut up.  This only lasts until the
file is byte-compiled.  If you do further byte-compilation (e.g. of the
advice code or of code output by some macro), the byte-compiler won't
remember that the file where this code originally appeared had a (defvar
longlines-mode).

        Stefan