Re: suggestions on toolbar icons

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: suggestions on toolbar icons
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 22:44:23 +0100

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

>     The point of stock items is that themes may change them and
>     applications that uses stock items change appearence
>     automatically.
>
> I think that Emacs could do better than what is there now,

I agree with that assessment, but I think the best way to change this
is to tell the GNOME artists.

> but I do respect that general argument. I wasn't aware of this.
>
>     Gnome is the GNU desktop environment, so aligning Emacs with Gnome
>     where possible makes sense. It does not make sense to me to change
>     Emacs for the benefit of any other platform.
>
> This is not about "any other platform". Aligning Emacs with GNOME is
> fine, in principle. Recognize, however, that it can also mean a
> straightjacket at times - Emacs will not be _better_ than whatever
> GNOME has already defined.

Then GNOME should become better.  There is no sense in splitting
efforts here.  If an icon is unclear in meaning, we should report it
to the GNOME artists instead of creating some half-baked inconsistent
icon ourselves.  They have the means to create stuff that matches
their style better than what we could come up with.  If they made
unfortunate choices at times, there is no reason not to tell them.

> Sorry, I'm not an artist or an image guru. I think my descriptions
> got the point across. It's a moot point anyway, if we are to adhere
> to the GNOME "standard".

Or the GNOME standard to its users' needs.  Really, there is no need
to be fatalistic about it.  Make a proposal and send it to the GNOME
lists.