Re: Todays exercise of sanity (or does "see" really match "not"?)

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Todays exercise of sanity (or does "see" really match "not"?)
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 22:21:21 +0200

>    It is easy to add a test for Info-hide-note-references, but I think it
>    would be more convenient to skip the `*Note ' tag even when it is visible.
>    Searching for "not" is too tiresome when search stops at every cross
>    reference.
>
> A search for `not' is going to stop at many places.  Searching should
> be predictable.  Please do not start adding tons of exceptions and
> "exceptions to exceptions" to searching by trying to double guess the
> user.
>
> A case-insensitive non-word search for `not' _should_ match `*Note'.

`*Note' is a special tag, not part of the text.  For instance,
Web browsers don't display tags, and don't allow them to interfere
while searching.  Some browsers provide two search modes: search for
text including link text, and separate mode to search only link text.
And nobody asks for an ability to search for HTML tags like `<a href='.
So I'm sure many people will like to skip `*Note' in Info too.
With my patch this is easily configurable with only one function
which can be redefined to match `*Note', or to skip it, or to search
only inside cross-reference text, or anything else.

Since Emacs Info browser is too controversial piece of software,
let's leave the current default with only one change to skip "see ".

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/