Re: Possible change to startup.el

From: Marcelo Toledo
Subject: Re: Possible change to startup.el
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:02:18 -0300

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> So what exactly is that patch supposed to do?  It seems very complicated.
>
> I'm not sure it's a good idea to take the description `first sentence
> in the tutorial' literally; a sentence may not be the best unit to
> use, as something that sounds natural when inserted into the splash
> page may look odd as a standalone first sentence in the tutorial.
>
> It seem better to do as I suggested earlier, and structure it more as
> a  `title' in the actual tutorial file (that is, simply the words
> "Emacs Tutorial" or equivalent, on a line by themselves, possibly
> centered on the first line, followed by a blank line).  That will be
> easier to extract from the file, and probably will look reasonable in
> both contexts.

That's what it does. Right now it's not centered and there is no blank
line after it. But I think it will look better if we make it, will look
like a title in the tutorial and will work in the splash screen. I think
Thien can take care of this change modifing the code to grab the phrase
in the _center_ (may vary from file to file) of the first line.

I am checking with the translators if those already commited are well
written. I will commit this change in the admin/FOR-RELEASE if no one
mind:

*** FOR-RELEASE.old     Wed Mar 30 21:20:14 2005
--- FOR-RELEASE Wed Mar 30 21:45:28 2005
***************
*** 245,250 ****
--- 245,282 ----
  lispref/variables.texi         "Luc Teirlinck"   Chong Yidong
  lispref/windows.texi     "Luc Teirlinck"   Chong Yidong

+ ** Check the Emacs Tutorial.
+
+ The first line of every tutorial must be "Emacs Tutorial" in the
+ repective language. It is used as a title in the tutorial and also used
+ in the splash screen. After each file name, on the same line or the
+ following line, come the names of the people who have checked it.
+
+ SECTION                  READERS
+ ----------------------------------
+ etc/TUTORIAL             Marcelo Toledo <address@hidden>