Re: Scrollbar bug on OS X

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Scrollbar bug on OS X
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 12:31:10 +0100

On 8 Apr 2005, at 03:05, Miles Bader wrote:

Instead, suffice it to say that it should be up to
the UI layer to implement the exact behavior.

The UI layer should be able to specify defaults; the final decision
should be up to the user.

Either the user choses an environment, i.e. operating system, that specifies these defaults, or he gets more fine-grained control over the interface. That's all fine - like I said in my earlier message: it shouldn't be up to the application. For that reason stuff like wxWidgets has architectural advantages over the non-native widgets used by GTK. Non-native UI usually doesn't feel as nice and comfortable. To give a practical example, Java Swing applications always feel clunky and somehow "not right" on the Mac. (But then again, I concede that Mac users tend to me more picky about UI than your average GNU/Linux or Windows user.)