Re: Documenting define-generic-mode.

From: Lute Kamstra
Subject: Re: Documenting define-generic-mode.
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 08:58:24 +0200

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:

> Lute Kamstra wrote:
>
>   This macro creates a new generic mode.  The argument @var{mode} is
>   the name of the command for the generic mode; it need not be quoted.
>
> "Name" sounds like a string.  "need not" sounds like it is up to the
> user whether he quotes it or not.  Is this really correct or is it
> true that it must not be quoted?  Of course, the same problems apply
> to the docstring from which the above quote was copied.

I wrote the docstring too.  :-)  It's true that it is up to the user to
quote the symbol or not.  define-generic-mode used to be a function,
so MODE needed to be quoted.  When I rewrote it into a macro, I opted
for an unquoted MODE.  Similar defining macros use unquoted symbols
too.  To be backward compatible, quoting the symbol is still allowed.

> What about:
>
> This macro creates a new generic mode.  @var{mode} (an unquoted symbol)
> is the major mode command.

That's fine with me.