Re: /lib/cpp not found in c-mode

From: Josh Varner
Subject: Re: /lib/cpp not found in c-mode
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 14:04:40 -0500

On 5/3/05, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
> >     Don't know about others, but the reason why I don't use c-macro-expand
> >     is because it basically can't work right without parsing my
> >     Makefile(s) to know which include dirs should be used.  And since it
> >     doesn't do that, I've found it of little use.
>
> > What information would it need in order to DTRT for you?

. . .
> Of course I can also manually take the relevant info from the Makefile and
> put it into c-macro-cppflags, but doing that for each and every project
> I work on is just too much trouble for me to even try it.

Assuming you do your compiles from emacs you should have the full
command lines used to compile the sources, i.e. containing all of the
relevant -I and -D's. Could a function be used to grab this
information out of the compilation buffers and store it for use by
c-macro-expand?

If this was automated in such a way that you could have an association
between files, or groups of files and the options used by
c-macro-expand, a hook in the compilation buffer could grab that
information during each build for later use. That would give you the
flexibility without the tedium.

Josh