Re: font-lock-comment-delimiter-face

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: font-lock-comment-delimiter-face
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 12:25:45 -0400

    Seems odd to introduce a new face whose name refers to "comment" even though
    the only two known uses for it are not for comments but for email citations.

Those were the only uses yet implemented for it,
but now I've changed font-lock-fontify-syntactically-region
to use it for comment delimiters.  I think this will work
for all modes.  It works for C mode and Lisp mode.

It would be cleaner, in some ways, to use font-lock-comment-face for
the delimiters and use font-lock-comment-text-face for the comment
contents.  The improvement is that this would not involve any change
in what font-lock-comment-face looks like.  It would just involve
adding font-lock-comment-text-face and using it.

However, the method that works in font-lock-fontify-syntactically-region
for font-lock-comment-delimiter-face does not work when adapted to
font-lock-comment-text-face.  I can't figure out why,
but it seems to relate to jit-lock.