Re: called by a process filter?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: called by a process filter?
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 21:33:31 -0400

    Binding a non-command object (a process) to this-command looks quite
    obscure and unclean to me.

To me it seems natural.  The filter was not run by any user command,
so I'm suggesting the idea that the command that ran the filter code
is the process itself.

    Lots of commands look at this-command (and internally we copy it to
    last-command etc).  I could envision this change breaking code in
    mysterious ways.

If something looks at this-command inside a process filter, it is
probably broken already.  In general it is unpredictable what command
is running, or was just running, when the process filter is called.
So such code would currently get unpredictable results.

It would indeed be safer to use a new variable, though.