Re: Should overlays evaporate by default?

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Should overlays evaporate by default?
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 10:17:42 +0200

>     > It occur to me that we could make it easier to find those places.
>     > Suppose that by default the `evaporate' property is set to
> `display-warning'.
>     > Suppose that in this case, when the overlay becomes empty, it evaporates
>     > and displays a warning using `display-warning'.
>
>     We can do that immediately AFTER the release.
>
> Why would it be better then than now?

> No matter when we do it, it will cause some programs
> to issue these warnings.  People will have to report them
> so we can fix them.  The natural time to do that will be
> in pretesting.  We will soon (I hope) do pretesting.

We do "pretesting" all the time with CVS emacs -- there are
many ordinary users using it already for everyday work.

> Why postpone this till the pretest of the subsequent version?

Because it will delay releasing 22.x.

> If this were a new feature, I would say let's put it off.
> But it is not a feature but a way of finding bugs, such as
> the bug that Bob and others tracked down with so much effort
> and time.

It is not a new feature, and so the bugs it causes are not
new either -- if we hope to fix every possible bug before
releasing 22.x, it will never be ready!

> This change would involve some work.  We would have to
> check all 136 or so calls to make-overlay or its synonyms
> in the Emacs sources, and change each of them to DTRT
> with the overlay property.  That's a substantial job
> and maybe nobody wants to do it.

I don't have time.