OS X: Modifier keys / option combinations / meta

From: David Reitter
Subject: OS X: Modifier keys / option combinations / meta
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 20:19:57 +0100

Steven, Yamamoto-san, list,

I updated the mac modifier key patch to allow people to input all sorts of characters with the Option key that they can input by default, such as the Euro sign, the backslash or @ (on German keyboards with A-S-7 or A-L respectively), or the pound sign £ on US keyboards with A-3.

One can use the variable mac-pass-option-to-system to control this behavior: If non-nil, Emacs allows the system to define the characters and Option is not interpreted as modifier, unless another modifier key (Ctrl or Command) is pressed along with it. This allows me to use

(setq mac-option-modifier 'meta)

to still map Option to Meta and input keys like C-M-\ (on my US keyboard).

As discussed earlier, we allow people to use mac-command-modifier and mac-ctrl-modifier to assign Emacs keys to the other real keys. The only known drawback is that you can't enter C-M-\ on a, e.g., German keyboard, but I'm not sure if anybody would want to enter ESC S-C-A-7 instead of redefining the command. One could make the default mapping of 'Option' to be empty for cases like these, saying that it is always handled by the system and never assumed to be Alt, even if other modifiers are pressed. Feedback on whether that would make sense would be appreciated.

As in the earlier version of the patch, mac-command-key-is-meta and mac-reverse-ctrl-meta are declared deprecated, but work provided no mac-*-modifier is set to non-nil. This is the default - I don't know if this should actually be changed and if these variables can be kicked out before the release.

Patch for download here:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=138078