Re: font-lock-comment-delimiter-face

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: font-lock-comment-delimiter-face
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 10:44:27 -0400

BTW, let me try to be constructive instead of just trying to shoot down
the feature.

How 'bout we change the current buggy code and replace it with something
more general (and thus more useful to those people who aren't among the
rare few who use 8 color ttys and whose red is not readable and who haven't
already changed their font-lock colors):

Introduce font-lock-comment-keywords which would basically work like
font-lock-keywords, except it's applied only to comments (with the buffer
narrowed to just the comment so that comment-start-skip matches correctly,
without needing font-lock-comment-start-skip).  This way we could highlight
all nested comments in SML, or we could highlight the "*" used on some
continuation lines in some multiline C commenting styles, and people could
set it to nil if they don't care about the feature, and major modes could
add stuff to it, e.g. to highlight javadoc directives, ...

        Stefan