Re: "Recent" changes to compilation-mode?

From: David Abrahams
Subject: Re: "Recent" changes to compilation-mode?
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 09:25:11 -0400

Nick Roberts <address@hidden> writes:

>  > Second, next-error used to cause the error in question to scroll to
>  > the top of the *compilation* buffer's window, which made it very easy
>  > to see what was going on.  Now emacs just moves that buffer's point
>  > without scrolling.  Since the active point ends up in the source
>  > file's buffer where the error is, all I see change in the
>  > *compilation* buffer is that an unfilled rectangle with super-thin
>  > borders moves.  It's extremely hard to see; if the window isn't going
>  > to scroll, IMO something else needs to be done (e.g. with
>  > highlighting) to emphasize the error in question.
>

> When there is a fringe present, the default was changed to not scroll
> because the arrow points to the current error and errors immediately
> above the current one remain visible.
>
> When there is no fringe, the current error scrolls to the top of the
> *compilation* buffer's window.
>
> So you should either see an arrow or scrolling.  If you don't, you need
> to give your configuration.  M-x report-emacs-bug, also on the menu bar
> plus the value of fringe-mode and/or window-fringes is a good start.

Yeah, there's a tiny arrow there.  The problem is that the diagnostics
typically span several lines and are often quite dense, and the arrow
isn't quite enough to help me distinguish the boundaries of the
diagnostic being indicated by the arrow.  Would it be possible to add
some kind of highlighting to the current error, similar to what I get
when hovering the mouse over it?

> P.S  To always scroll to the top: (setq compilation-context-lines 0)

Ah, that will be a big help, thanks.  Not quite as good as
highlighting, but not bad.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting