Re: pcl-cvs misbehaving

From: David Abrahams
Subject: Re: pcl-cvs misbehaving
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 20:43:11 -0400

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> I see a file labelled "need-merge", so I do `d E' and get:
>
> `d E' doesn't "merge" changes, it helps resolve conflicts that
> appeared during an earlier merge.

Right, I knew that, but I used it anyway.

> It's a common misunderstanding (i.e. a misfeature of PCL-CVS's UI)
> and at least the error message should be improved.

I guess.  It would help a lot if the hint when you hit `d' were
changed so that instead of "imerge" it said "resolve conflicts" or
"review/resolve merge"

>> ediff-setup: Wrong number of arguments: (lambda (type) "A mode to do basic
>> comment and font-lock functionality
>
> The problem is that ediff-setup does:
>
>             (insert-buffer buf)
>             (funcall (ediff-with-current-buffer buf major-mode))
>             (widen) ; merge buffer is always widened
>
> thus assuming that the function stored in `major-mode' can be called with
> no arguments.  This should indeed be the case (see the elisp manual snippet
> I quoted earlier today in the context of org-mode and define-derived-mode).
> So I guess the error is in generic-x.el since it sets major-mode to
> `generic-mode' which is not a valid major mode function.

So, do I need to do something to report that, or are you following up,
or...?

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting