Re: tex-mode and shell-quote-argument

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: tex-mode and shell-quote-argument
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 16:40:38 -0400

>     Could someone explain to me more clearly the justification/need for the
>     latest patch to tex-mode:
> I give up.
> Someone needs to maintain tex-mode.el who can actually use it and test it.

I use it and I'm probably as close as it gets to a "maintainer" of that
file.  I exclusively use tex-compile to run jobs, tho, and can never figure
out how to use the other thingies like tex-print.

> I can't.  If you think it's the right thing to do to revert all or
> most or part of the latest patch, please do.

>     Is it just a case of enthusiasm going a bit over and beyond the call
>     of duty?

> I guess so.  I really don't know any more.

>     Or am I missing something?

> You probably aren't, but I don't feel competent to say.

> The story is, as tersely explained in the ChangeLog:

> 1) Olive Lin contributed a small change back in March that added the
>    shell-quote-argument to tex-send-command.
> 2) More recently (May 18), Frederik Fouvry reported a problem with
>    double quoting on tex-print.  His original report used 8-bit chars
>    in filenames, he later told me it happens with any non-posix-safe
>    char, such as @.
> 3) Olive, Frederik, rms and I batted it around and no one saw what you
>    did.  For myself, I just said oh, well, here are more calls to
>    shell-quote-argument, let's remove them.  I didn't notice that there
>    were different arguments involved.
> 4) Shoot me now.

Thank you.  So my understanding seems correct: only the part (that removed
a double quoting in tex-print) was needed.  I've undone the other changes.

        Stefan