Suggestion for gdb-ui.el

From: Albert Veli
Subject: Suggestion for gdb-ui.el
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 12:13:22 +0200

Dear emacs-devel,

I recently upgraded from emacs 21.4 to the CVS version (after reading
this gdb-ui article, http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7876 ).

Gdb-ui is really a facelift. Below is a couple of suggestions
I thought of while trying it out with some inline asm.

My inline asm uses the SSE floating point registers xmm0-xmm7.
Space toggles between "info registers" and "info all-registers"
mode in the *registers* buffer (M-x gdb-display-registers-buffer).
When all registers are shown they dont fit in the *registers*
buffer so I scroll down a bit to the xmm registers. But after each
stepi (step one instruction) the *registers* buffer scrolls
back to the Top again.

* Suggestion: Update lisp/progmodes/gdb-ui.el so the *registers* buffer
somehow remembers the line number and scrolls back to the same line
after updating the registers.

It would also be nice if the changed registers would be highlighted
somehow (I noticed it's on the TODO list in gdb-ui.el).

* Small bug: It is not possible to click two times on the same icon in
the gdb-ui toolbar (for instance next or stepi) without first moving the
mouse cursor outside the icon. Emacs was configured with --with-gtk and
I dont know if the bug exists with other toolkits. I tried it on
both Debian/Sarge (XFree86 4.3.0) and on Ubuntu/Hoary (X.org 6.8.2).
They both have the same GTK+ version (2.6.4).

Otherwise I think gdb-ui is great and I have not started DDD a single
time after installing the CVS version of emacs!

Regards, Albert