Re: Emacs defeats ClearType

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Emacs defeats ClearType
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 10:15:03 +0900

On 6/7/05, David Abrahams <address@hidden> wrote:
> Yes, if you're concerned about redrawing the minimum possible number
> of characters on a line, you don't want to do that.  I think that's a
> needless optimization in most cases, but I'm sure there are machines
> and buffers where you can observe a difference in speed.

Font metric  bogosities that cause greatly excessive redraw can
definitely result in annoying flickering though, even on machines
which are fast enough that you don't notice the actual redrawing.

[This is the case on X11 anyway; unless the ms-windows port is doing
double-buffering, I expect the same is true there.]

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.