Re: (emacs)Log Buffer

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: (emacs)Log Buffer
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 21:18:22 -0500 (CDT)

Stefan Monnier wrote:

   Maybe you're right that it never happens with default settings if you don't
   use PCL-CVS, but I'm not sure if it's relevant.  Should the documentation
   not talk about things that happen if you use PCL-CVS or if you change some
   custom settings?

The PCL-CVS manual should talk about what happens if you use PCL-CVS.
The section in the Emacs manual documents VC with here and there some
xref's to the PCL-CVS manual.

As another remark on the recent changes in that node, the way C-c C-f
is explained is confusing to the user, because at that stage nothing
tells you how you could possibly commit more than one file at a time
and it is only explained later in the more specialized sections on VC
Dired.  I propose to add some explanation.

The two changes in the patch to files.texi are independent.  I could
install either or both.

===File ~/files.texi-diff===================================
*** files.texi  26 May 2005 21:44:35 -0500      1.107
--- files.texi  06 Jun 2005 20:44:33 -0500
***************
*** 1527,1537 ****
    When you check in changes, @kbd{C-x v v} first reads a log entry.  It
  pops up a buffer called @samp{*VC-Log*} for you to enter the log entry.

- Sometimes the @samp{*VC-Log*} buffer contains default text when you enter it,
- typically the last log message entered.  If it does, mark and point
- are set around the entire contents of the buffer so that it is easy to
- kill the contents of the buffer with @kbd{C-w}.
-
  @findex log-edit-insert-changelog
  If you work by writing entries in the @file{ChangeLog}
  (@pxref{Change Log}) and then commit the change under revision
--- 1527,1532 ----
***************
*** 1545,1551 ****

  In the @samp{*VC-Log*} buffer, @kbd{C-c C-f} (@kbd{M-x log-edit-show-files})
  shows the list of files to be committed in case you need to check
! that.

  When you have finished editing the log message, type @kbd{C-c C-c} to
  exit the buffer and commit the change.
--- 1540,1548 ----

  In the @samp{*VC-Log*} buffer, @kbd{C-c C-f} (@kbd{M-x log-edit-show-files})
  shows the list of files to be committed in case you need to check
! that.  (This can be a list of more than one file if you use VC Dired
! mode or PCL-CVS.  @xref{VC Dired Mode}, and @ref{Top, , About PCL-CVS,
! pcl-cvs, PCL-CVS --- The Emacs Front-End to CVS}.)