Re: Comint read-only-prompt

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Comint read-only-prompt
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 12:38:46 -0500 (CDT)

JD Smith wrote:

   I just compiled a CVS Emacs v22, and was pleased to find that there is
   a new comint- prompt-read-only variable.  However, when I enable that
   variable, I get the following non-desired behavior:

        1. At each prompt, I am warned "Text is read-only".
        2. All my input is echoed back to me (I use process-echoes).

   I thought my prompt pattern could be at fault; it contains a \r
   character (which IDL throws in at odd intervals).  I changed it to
   something simple, and get the same behavior.

Unless you set comint-use-prompt-regexp (formerly
comint-use-prompt-regexp-instead-of-fields) to t, the value of
shell-prompt-pattern will not matter very much.  It looks like part of
the echoed input is considered part of the prompt.  The prompt
read-only region includes the prompt and the newline before it.

It is really difficult for me to look into this, because I can not
duplicate the problem.  Trying to use idlwave-shell-mode (assuming
that is what we are talking about) I got:

apply: Searching for program: no such file or directory, idl

Sincerely,

Luc.