Re: transient-mark-mode in 22.0

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: transient-mark-mode in 22.0
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 08:02:42 -0400

    I noticed that setting the transient-mark-mode variable no longer does
    anything

As far as I can see, it still does what it always did.
Did you actually observe that it fails to work?

But I see that the doc string of the variable says that setting it
does nothing.  That doc string is erroneous.

define-minor-mode automatically generates doc strings that say you
can't set the variable directly, and often this is true, but sometimes
it is false.  So I propose the patch below.

Your problem with mouse-up is probably unrelated to this.  I am not
sure whether it is a bug, and I don't have time to look at the issue
now.

*** easy-mmode.el       05 Jun 2005 05:51:44 -0400      1.64
--- easy-mmode.el       08 Jun 2005 07:00:46 -0400
***************
*** 183,195 ****

          (let ((curfile (or (and (boundp 'byte-compile-current-file)
                                  byte-compile-current-file)
!                            load-file-name)))
!           `(defcustom ,mode ,init-value
!              ,(format "Non-nil if %s is enabled.
  See the command `%s' for a description of this minor-mode.
  Setting this variable directly does not take effect;
! use either \\[customize] or the function `%s'."
!                       pretty-name mode mode)
               :set 'custom-set-minor-mode
               :initialize 'custom-initialize-default
               ,@group
--- 183,201 ----

          (let ((curfile (or (and (boundp 'byte-compile-current-file)
                                  byte-compile-current-file)
!                            load-file-name))
!               base-doc-string)
!           (setq base-doc-string "Non-nil if %s is enabled.
  See the command `%s' for a description of this minor-mode.
  Setting this variable directly does not take effect;
! use either \\[customize] or the function `%s'.")
!           (if (null body)
!               (setq base-doc-string "Non-nil if %s is enabled.
! See the command `%s' for a description of this minor-mode."))
!
!           `(defcustom ,mode ,init-value
!              (let
!              ,(format base-doc-string pretty-name mode mode)