Re: Threads in emacs implementation

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Threads in emacs implementation
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 18:50:14 -0400

> I think elisp is always going to need a huge amount of blocking to use
> OS threads because of the nature of dynamic scope.

I expect that making cooperative threads work (with context switches only at
those places where we currently allow running things like timers and process
filters), is currently doable.

I.e. it will probably introduce some incompatibilities, but it shouldn't be
hugely difficult to get a proof of concept working well enough for
"normal" use.

Once we get there, it may be easier to see what the next step should be.

        Stefan

PS: Making progress on lexical scoping will also make it easier to
    move forward.