Re: display-supports-face-attributes-p bug?

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: display-supports-face-attributes-p bug?
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 22:38:30 -0400

>>>>> "Miles" == Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

Miles> If it's impossible to tell whether there's correct underlining
Miles> support, it seems safer to assume there's not -- or at the
Miles> least don't _advertise_ that there is.  In other words,
Miles> probably the right thing to do is still emit
Miles> enter/exit-underlining escape codes for underlined faces, but
Miles> have `display-supports-face-attribute-p' return nil for the
Miles> :underline attribute.

Sounds like a most reasonable compromise.

Miles> It also seems reasonable to base the default Emacs behavior on
Miles> the current state of the most popular platform, in cases where
Miles> there's no way of distinguishing.

Certainly.  I just pointed out that things might change because there
is a desire in lkml-land to move the vt100-ish part of the console
from kernelspace to userspace, and that will likely result in
emulation that is much more like xterm than anything else.  And since
xterm supports real underlining....

Miles> [Of course if we add a hack to override terminfo, it would also
Miles> be good to have a way for the user to override that.]

That would be cool.

-JimC

(I'll probably bow out of this thread now.)
--
James H. Cloos, Jr. <address@hidden>