Re: Problems building emacs-21.2 on IRIX with gcc-3.4.4

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Problems building emacs-21.2 on IRIX with gcc-3.4.4
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 09:30:18 -0400

    gcc-3.3.2 works. Should I presume this to be a GCC bug?

It could be, but you need to localize the problem to make sure.  You
could try compiling some files with GCC 3.3.2 and some with GCC 3.4.4,
and determine which file makes the difference.  Then you could try
splitting that file in various ways, to compile part of it with 3.3.2
and part with 3.4.4.  That way you can see which function fails.

At that point, you'll probably see that either the function contains
code that is not well defined in C, or that it has been miscompiled
by GCC 3.4.4.  Either way, we will know what to do.