Re: mouse-1-click-follows-link

From: Daniel Brockman
Subject: Re: mouse-1-click-follows-link
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 03:56:52 +0200

Nick Roberts <address@hidden> writes:

> I have set mouse-1-click-follows-link to nil in my .emacs for a
> while now.  I found it harder to work out when I need to hold down
> mouse-1 that bit longer to not follow a link, than to press mouse-2
> when I did want to follow a link (and this is with a two button
> mouse which emulates mouse-2).

Most mice these days seem to come with two proper buttons and a
clickable scroll wheel.  On these devices, you usually need to _click_
the scroll wheel to generate a mouse-2 event.  This is often much more
difficult than clicking two ordinary buttons simultaneously.

I currently don't have a mouse, but when I do use one I generally
don't use it for moving around in the buffer a lot.  I do tend to use
it to follow links such as URLs and those in Customize buffers.

Besides, most buffers don't have a high link density, so you can
usually just click next to one and then move point into place using
the keyboard.  Dragging works as usual in any case.

> I was constantly going places that I didn't want to go and I find
> the old behaviour a lot easier.

I suspect most people who feel like you will instantly realize that
they liked the old behavior better, type C-h n and search for `mouse'.
This will immediately give clues about how to switch back.

On the other hand, many people new to Emacs will not even attempt to
click the scroll wheel to follow a link.  (Even given the tooltip.)
After seeing that nothing happens when you click links using mouse-1,
people will conclude that Emacs does not support clickable links.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I really think the current
default is the most useful and reasonable, _especially_ to newcomers,
but also to lots of experienced people (myself included).

--
Daniel Brockman <address@hidden>