Re: mouse-1-click-follows-link

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: mouse-1-click-follows-link
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 14:46:10 -0400

    Underlining doesn't make text look like a link.  There are faces
    with the underline attribute put on text which is not a link.
    It would be confusing for users to think that such text is a link
    and try to click it after learning a new Emacs convention of
    underlining all mouse-1 sensitive areas.

That logic is backwards.  Many links in Emacs are underlined, but a
few are not.  If we move towards underlining them, it will make things
more consistent, not less so.

    Also underlining often produces visual clutter, especially
    in buffers with high link density like dired, grep and compilation
    buffers.

I don't think so, but people can try my patch and tell me if they
think so.