Re: fringe buffer-boundary bitmaps

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: fringe buffer-boundary bitmaps
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 21:14:56 +0000 (UTC)

   ... it became pretty clear that which style ("light" or "heavy")
   looks better depends strongly on the font (smaller fonts go better
   with "light", but the thin bitmaps can start looking a bit lost
   with large fonts), background color (on a dark background, the
   white bitmaps stand out much more, which makes the "heavy" bitmaps
   look even heavier), and probably display type (I use an LCD display
   which is very good at showing single-pixel lines precisely).

That makes a great deal of sense.  Useful discovery.

   ... it would make sense to have a few alternate sets of
   bitmaps packaged with emacs, similar to Gnome's icon-themes?

Yes.  Please figure out several defaults, one of which is selected
depending on some automatically measured value such as that coming
from `display-pixel-width'.  (Doubtless, some other function or
variable would be better, but I don't know it.)

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    address@hidden                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8