Re: Scroll lock

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Scroll lock
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 01:37:57 -0400

    > 2. scroll-preserve-screen-position should not affect anything
    >    but scroll commands.

    It would only affect scrolling commands.  But it will affect
    e.g. `C-n' and `C-p' which will be remapped to functions which
    actually do scrolling.

If you have a minor mode that rebinds these keys to scrolling
commands, then I agree it is natural in that mode for
scroll-preserve-screen-position to affect them.

    > 3. Do you want this in all buffers, or only in read-only buffers?

    The minor mode should be able to be turned on in any buffer.

Ok.

If you only wanted it in read-only buffers, we could perhaps turn it
on by default in those buffers.  If you want it to be available in any
buffer, we'd have to make it a minor mode, and you'd get it only when
you explicitly ask.

    In that case there are two ways feature could be activated.

    1) Using a special symbol for `scroll-preserve-screen-position'.
       Setting it e.g. to 'always would preserve screen position of point
       for any scroll command, even those which would not move point out
       of the visible portion of the buffer.  The behavior you get when
       setting the variable to t would stay as is.

That would be ok with me.