Re: File menu changes (suggestions)

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: File menu changes (suggestions)
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 18:24:23 +0900

LENNART BORGMAN <address@hidden> writes:
>> I explained why I don't like "New File Buffer".  Instead of "Visit",
>> maybe some other verb is clearer, such as "Start", "Prepare", "Edit".
>
> I believe "New <something/nothing>" is far better than your last
> suggestions. They are not familiar in this context.

It's better to use a slightly less common word than not make sense.
"Familiar in this context" is not some sort of trump card, merely one
thing to consider.

The Emacs command is indeterminate (as to whether the file exists or
not), so the menu name should be as well.  I like "Visit File" best
myself; another possibility is to use explicitly indeterminate wording,
like "New/Open File".

-Miles
--
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
  --Albert Einstein